WE, the ASEAN Ministers on Agriculture and Forestry (AMAF), gathered here in Bangkok, Thailand on 1 November 2007 for the 29th AMAF Meeting;
RECOGNIZING that forest resources play a vital role that sustains human, animal and plant life, as well as in mitigating climate change in their capacity as carbon sink;
RECALLING that our Leaders at the 10th ASEAN Summit in November 2004, under the Vientiane Action Programme (VAP) 2004 – 2010, called for, among others, the promotion of sustainable management of forest resources which includes eradicating unsustainable practices and related activities;
RECALLING ALSO that the ASEAN Sectoral Integration Protocol for Wood-based Products, in line with the ASEAN Framework Agreement for the Integration of the Priority Sectors signed by the ASEAN Leaders at the 10th ASEAN Summit on 29 November 2004 in Vientiane, Lao PDR, called for the development of cooperation programmes among relevant authorities to combat illegal trade in forest products;
ACKNOWLEDGING the outcomes and agreements at the 9th Meeting of ASEAN Senior Officials on Forestry (ASOF) in Bali, Indonesia, on 17-18 August 2006, to collectively pursue FLEG initiative as a collaborative mechanism to address illegal logging and its associated trade;
DEEPLY CONCERNED of the adverse impacts on forest resources brought about by illegal logging and its associated trade;
HAVE AGREED, as follows:
(1) To strengthen forest law enforcement and governance in their respective countries, particularly in preventing and combating illegal logging and its associated trade, consistent with prevailing national laws, rules and regulations;
(2) To enhance collaborative activities and programmes such as regional customs and trade cooperation, forestry sector transparency, joint approaches in timber certification, country diagnostics and experience sharing;
(3) To build upon the East-Asia Forest Law Enforcement and Governance (EA-FLEG) initiative as a meaningful platform for synergistic partnership and cooperation;
(4) To task the ASOF to prepare and implement a work plan to achieve the above-stated measures;
(5) To urge the ASEAN Dialogue Partners, international and regional organizations and the business community to extend technical assistance and support; and
(6) To welcome the organizing of the forthcoming 2nd Asia FLEG Ministerial Meeting in the Philippines in 2008.
Adopted in Bangkok, Thailand, on this First day of November in the year 2007.