This Comprehensive Programme of Action is aimed at fostering and diversifying mutually advantageous cooperation between the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the Russian Federation and implementing the goals and objectives set forth in the Joint Declaration of the Heads of State/Government of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations and the Head of State of the Russian Federation on Progressive and Comprehensive Partnership signed on 13 December 2005 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, the Agreement between the Governments of ASEAN and the Government of the Russian Federation on Economic and Development Cooperation signed on 10 December 2005 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia, the Joint Declaration of the Foreign Ministers of ASEAN and the Russian Federation on Partnership for Peace and Security, and Prosperity and Development in the Asia-Pacific Region signed on 19 June 2003 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia, as well as the ASEAN-Russian Federation Joint Declaration for Cooperation to Combat International Terrorism signed on 2 July 2004 in Jakarta, Indonesia.
Taking into account the above, ASEAN and the Russian Federation, in accordance with their respective international obligations and national legislation, shall endeavour, where appropriate, to pursue joint actions and measures in the following areas:
I. Political and Security Cooperation
- hold regular meetings and consultations on the issues of mutual interests within the ASEAN-Russian Federation dialogue mechanisms, i.e. annual ASEAN Post Ministerial Conference (PM?) +1 Sessions with the Russian Federation, ASEAN-Russian Federation Senior Officials Meetings (SOM), ASEAN-Russian Federation Joint Cooperation Committee (ARJCC), ASEAN-Russian Federation Joint Planning and Management Committee (ARJPMC);
- establish, by mutual consent, new dialogue mechanisms at appropriate levels in various areas of cooperation, as deemed necessary;
- expand and deepen interaction and coordination within the United Nations (UN) by convening, when necessary, special meetings of Foreign Ministers of ASEAN and the Russian Federation on the margins of the UN General Assembly Sessions, consultations of the delegations on the agenda of those Sessions, as well as meetings of Permanent Representatives to the UN;
- hold consultations on the issues of the ASEAN Regional Forum (ARF) agenda;
- continue participation in the negotiations on the accession of the five Nuclear Powers to the Treaty on the Southeast Asia Nuclear Weapon-Free Zone;
- organise special activities to commemorate the 10th Anniversary of the ASEAN-Russian Federation Dialogue Partnership in the year 2006.
II. Cooperation in Combating Terrorism and Transnational Crime
- hold regular ASEAN Senior Officials Meeting on Transnational Crime (SOMTC) – Russian Federation Consultations;
- explore the possibility of establishing an ASEAN-Russian Federation Working Group on Counter-Terrorism and Transnational Crime to coordinate interaction between ASEAN and the Russian Federation in this area at the level of experts of competent authorities of the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation.
In accordance with their obligations under international law and respective national legislations,
- strengthen the central role of the UN in the consolidation and coordination of international efforts to combat terrorism in all its forms and manifestations, and to address the root causes and supporting factors of terrorism;
- take measures to enhance multilateral and bilateral cooperation in combating terrorism on the basis of international law;
- continue efforts to elaborate and conclude the Comprehensive Convention on International Terrorism by the UN General Assembly;
- encourage the early signing and ratification of the International Convention for the Suppression of Acts of Nuclear Terrorism;
- enhance cooperation at various levels on counter-terrorism initiatives;
- exchange information on terrorist groups and information on potential attacks and threats including possible acts involving chemical, biological, radiological or nuclear weapons;
- continue to share information on terrorist organisations, their leaders and members, operational methods and support infrastructure;
- promote cooperation and capacity building for security personnel involved in high-profile visits and governmental and international events;
- exchange information on potential acts of terrorism against their respective Countries and citizens, share best practices, knowledge and experience in the field of prevention, suppression and investigation of such acts of terrorism, as well as on the prosecution of terrorists and their accomplices;
- cooperate to eradicate illicit trafficking in small arms;
- promote interfaith dialogue to enhance mutual understanding among civilisations and religions;
- organise, on the basis of mutual interests, training programmes and workshops and seminars on counter-terrorism;
- coordinate joint measures to prevent financing of terrorism;
- cooperate in observance of international safety rules in air, land and maritime transport;
- render assistance in search and rescue operations, shipments of equipment and humanitarian cargo, medical aid and follow-up for victims of terrorist attacks;
- cooperate in research on issues and trends in terrorism.
(2) Combating Transnational Crime
In accordance with their obligations under international law and respective national legislation,
- enhance cooperation in combating money laundering, particularly those that involve channeling of revenues obtained by criminal and/or other means for the goal of financing terrorist activities, and share best practices, promote capacity building and render necessary support to halt such activities;
- exchange information and cooperate with a view to preventing and suppressing drug trafficking;
- cooperate and render mutual assistance in preventing and suppressing human trafficking and crimes related to it in accordance with relevant agreements;
- exchange information and cooperate in countering the fabrication, distribution and use of false or forged payment instruments and identification documents;
- exchange information, knowledge and best practices in combating sea piracy and crimes against transportation security;
- cooperate to render mutual assistance in the prevention and suppression of cyber crimes, in particular crimes related to the abuse of the Internet and other means of communication in violation of intellectual property rights;
- explore the possibility of cooperation on the detection and interception of communication channels of transnational criminal groups and terrorist organisations.
III. Economic Cooperation
(1) Trade and Investment Cooperation
- hold ASEAN-Russian Federation Senior Economic Officials Consultations on a regular basis as well as hold meetings of the ASEAN-Russian Federation Working Group on Trade and Economic Cooperation (ARWGTEC);
- foster trade, economic and investment cooperation;
- exchange information related to trade and investment, in particular tariff policy; applied sanitary, phytosanitary and other non-tariff measures including technical regulations, standards and conformity assessment procedures; insurance; intellectual property and measures relating to the protection of investors and investments;
- strengthen and develop cooperation in the following directions:
(a) establishing contacts between the government authorities in charge of developing technical regulations, standards and conformity assessment procedures;
(b) exchanging information on technical regulations, standards and conformity assessment procedures, both introduced and being developed;
(c) training of personnel in areas related to the development of technical regulations, standards and conformity assessment procedures, as well as exchange of experts;
- support ASEAN regional integration including, inter alia, the Initiative for ASEAN Integration (IAI); provide special and differential treatment for the newer Member Countries of ASEAN namely Cambodia, Lao PDR, Myanmar and Viet Nam by the Russian Federation in order to facilitate their effective participation under this Comprehensive Programme of Action;
- encourage the ASEAN-Russian Federation Business Council to intensify its activities and to hold regular multilateral and bilateral business fora with a view to better inform the businessmen of both sides on the opportunities of their respective markets;
- promote exchange of visits by business delegations.
- encourage the participation of companies from the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation in each others’ major projects, including joint investment projects;
- enhance industrial cooperation in selected manufacturing and high technology industries such as heavy engineering equipment, machine-tools, automotive, road-building machinery, electrical appliances and agricultural machinery;
- broaden cooperation in research, innovation and application of emerging and advanced technologies in mineral resources utilisation.
The exact conditions and forms of such cooperation shall be determined through direct dialogue between the authorised agencies of ASEAN and the Russian Federation.
- hold consultations on energy cooperation;
- identify investment opportunities for infrastructure development relating to power, oil and natural gas on a commercial basis;
- exchange know-how and technology in various fields of energy;
- promote the use of new and renewable resources on a commercial basis;
- facilitate the use of energy efficiency and conservation programmes;
- facilitate efficient energy consumption and wide utilisation, where possible, of renewable and alternative energy sources (solar, wind, sea tides and waves, hydro, geothermal waters, biomass and others) through capacity building in areas of policy and regulation, sharing and transfer of technologies, and research and development;
- promote environment friendly resources and technologies;
- promote cooperation in areas of exploration, production, transportation and utilisation of oil, gas and their refined products, including technical exchange in oil and gas operations;
- cooperate in oil and gas exploration and transportation.
- hold consultations on transport cooperation;
- cooperate in ensuring maritime and air transportation security in ASEAN and the Russian Federation;
- study potential threats to the transportation system security;
- exchange information on combating terrorism in all modes of transport;
- jointly train transportation security experts;
- cooperate in capacity building programmes in inland waterways transport and shipping operation and management;
- exchange information, experience and best practices in highway, subway and port construction projects.
- exchange knowledge, experience and information in combating money-laundering and financing of terrorism as well as participate in the activities of the respective counter-terrorism working groups and the relevant regional training programmes;
- consider possible training and technical assistance by the Russian Federation to the Member Countries of ASEAN under the relevant regional training programme of the training center of the Eurasian Group on Combating Money Laundering and Financing of Terrorism (EAG) established by ROSFINMONITORING;
- consider possible political support by the Russian Federation as a member of the Financial Action Task Force (FATF) and G8 Counter-Terrorism Action Group (CTAG) to the Member Countries of ASEAN to obtain foreign technical assistance aimed at their capacity building in combating money-laundering and financing of terrorism.
(6) Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs)
- hold consultations on SME cooperation;
- enhance cooperation between the SMEs of the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation in areas of capacity building, technology transfer and market research;
- promote participation of SMEs in exhibitions and trade fairs and encourage linkages between SMEs from the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation;
- promote human resources development at the level of enterprises including the areas of management skills training, study/factory visits, entrepreneurs exchange and internship schemes and training in priority sectors;
- promote institutional capacity building in business support services including the areas of information dissemination, organising SME product showcases and exhibitions, organising SME forums and match-making workshops, setting up SME websites, creation of business handbooks, setting up technical and consulting support services and export promotion and support services;
- promote government and private sector partnership for SME development;
- facilitate investment promotion through incentives, regulatory and legal framework review, procedural improvements and rationalisation, human resources development and promoting SME sub-contracting and other linkages.
IV. Functional Cooperation
(1) Science and Technology Cooperation
- hold regular meetings of the ASEAN-Russian Federation Working Group on Science and Technology (ARWGST);
- identify the priorities, specific areas, initiatives and forms of cooperation based on the Concept Paper on the Convergence of Interests between ASEAN Committee on Science and Technology (COST) and the Russian Federation in the Area of Science and Technology being developed by the ARWGST;
- encourage technology transfer and exchange for the mutual benefit of the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation;
- exchange scientific and technological information and implement major joint projects;
- ensure effective protection of intellectual property rights resulting from cooperation under this Comprehensive Programme of Action in accordance with respective international treaties which the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation are party to, and relevant national legislation.
(2) Information and Communication Technologies (ICT) Cooperation
- hold consultations on ICT cooperation with a view to promoting cooperation in telemedicine, e-government, e-commerce, distance education, information security and legalisation of digital signature.
(3) Cooperation in Natural Disaster Early Warning and Mitigation
- consider in practical terms possible assistance by the Russian Federation to the Member Countries of ASEAN in their capacity building in responding to natural and man-made disasters by establishing and strengthening their national emergency response agencies, and providing them with equipment and special technical facilities, including aviation related equipment;
- consider application of the aviation technologies of the Russian Federation in the prevention of forest and land fires;
- consider application of Russian modern technologies of emergency early warning and relief operations including the buildings and other structures stability assessment systems and disaster damage forecasting;
- introduce the Russian technologies and experience of monitoring hazardous technological and environmental processes, as well as developing the software for decision-making on disaster response;
- consider possible assistance by the Russian Federation to the Member Countries of ASEAN in personnel training.
(4) Environment Management, Rehabilitation and Protection Cooperation
- hold consultations on environment management, rehabilitation and protection cooperation;
- promote environment management and protection cooperation in the following priority areas:
(a) transboundary environment pollution abatement;
(b) conservation of biological diversity and objects of natural heritage, setting up networks of nature reserve protected areas;
(c) coastal and marine environment protection and efficient management of marine resources;
(d) broad application of advanced and environmentally sound technologies and strategies of environment-friendly production and consumption of products;
(e) sustainable water resources management;
(f) sustainable forest management including conservation of forest resources and combating forest fires;
(g) combating the illicit felling of trees and trade of illegally procured timber;
(h) implementation of measures to stabilise the climatic system and adaptation of population and economy to the negative consequences of climate change;
(i) environmental education and awareness.
- organise joint scientific research and survey, as well as consultations, seminars and business meetings in the said areas.
(5) Human Resources Development Cooperation
- hold consultations on human resources development cooperation;
- foster contacts between the higher education institutions in the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation through promoting student exchanges, mutual visits by lecturers and experts, and the establishment of joint programmes;
- foster education cooperation in the subjects of science and mathematics through the ASEAN University Network (AUN);
- promote exchange and sharing of experience between the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation on facilitating labour cooperation and consider in practical terms possible assistance by the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation for greater capacity-building in this area.
(6) Cultural and Information Cooperation
(a) Cooperation in Culture
- hold regular experts consultations in the field of culture, including the exchange of information;
- on a regular basis organise cultural festivals, including film festivals in the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation;
- organise periodic festivals on the ethnic culture of both sides in the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation;
- promote exchanges of cinematographic information and participate in each others’ culture related exhibitions and international festivals;
- promote people-to-people interaction through exchanges of experts and practitioners in culture and the arts, theatre, music, acrobatics, dance, monodrama, museums and libraries, folk art, protection, preservation and restoration of culture and art monuments, and cinematography ;
- foster cooperation between the major libraries, museums, educational and scientific institutions;
- develop personnel training, workshops and study tours in the field of culture and the arts;
- consider providing scholarships for ASEAN cultural artistes;
- support cooperation between cultural institutions of the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation and foster interaction between experts and young artists for the purpose of training and sharing of expertise;
- facilitate the participation of experts and young artists in courses, conferences and seminars devoted to their fields of specialisation;
- facilitate cultural exchanges on a commercial basis.
(b) Cooperation in Information
- consider establishing contacts between ROSARCHIVE and respective ASEAN bodies, as well as the archive services of the Member Countries of ASEAN concerned, particularly taking into account the plans to convene the International Congress on Archives in Kuala Lumpur in 2008;
- deepen cooperation between ITAR-TASS and the information agencies of the Member Countries of ASEAN;
- facilitate exchanges of journalists of the Member Countries of ASEAN to the Russian Federation and vice-versa;
- facilitate training and workshops in the Russian Federation for media personnel of the Member Countries of ASEAN.
- consider organising the ASEAN-Russian Federation Tourism Consultation Meeting;
- develop information exchange and cooperation in the sphere of tourism between the government tourism authorities, including undertaking joint promotion and marketing through the production of collateral materials as well as advertising in travel magazines both projects showcasing the different destinations of the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation;
- develop cooperation with a view to facilitate promoting national tourist products by means of international tourist exhibitions, for example the “TRAVEX” at ASEAN Tourism Forum (ATF) in the Philippines, January 2006 and the 1st “Intourmarket” international tourist exhibition due to be held in Moscow in March 2006 and other relevant travel shows in the Member Countries of ASEAN;
- hold conferences and workshops on tourism development in the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation aimed at, inter alia, capacity building and the sharing of innovations and experience in the regulation of tourist activities by governments, human resources development, sustainable tourism development and tourism investment activities;
- promote meetings, incentives, conventions and exhibitions between the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation.
- promote cooperation among sports agencies, organisations and clubs of the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation;
- participate in each others’ various sports events held in the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation;
- participate in various international sports exhibitions, conferences, workshops held in the Member Countries of ASEAN and the Russian Federation.
(9) Food, Agriculture and Forestry
- hold consultations on agricultural and forestry cooperation;
- promote cooperation, technical assistance and investment promotion in food-processing industries;
- promote capacity building and human resources development through training and the exchange of information, experience and best-practices in various agricultural and forestry sectors;
- exchange of know-how and technology within the agricultural and forestry sector.
V. Implementation Arrangements
(1) ASEAN and the Russian Federation will utilise the ASEAN-Russian Federation Dialogue Partnership Financial Fund to implement this Comprehensive Programme of Action.
(2) ASEAN and the Russian Federation shall, where appropriate, jointly draw up specific work plans to implement measures outlined in this Comprehensive Programme of Action and shall provide technical assistance to the ASEAN Secretariat in coordinating and implementing this Comprehensive Programme of Action.
(3) Regular reviews of the implementation of this Comprehensive Programme of Action will be made by the existing mechanisms of the ASEAN-Russian Federation Dialogue Partnership.
. . . . .