1. The Eighth Meeting of the ASEAN Ministers on Agriculture and Forestry was held on 27 – 29 November 1986 in Jakarta, Indonesia. Prior to their Meeting, the Ministers paid a courtesy call on president Soeharto of the Republic of Indonesia.
2. The Meeting was attended by H.E. Pengiran Dato Dr. Ismail, Minister of Development of Brunei Darussalam; H.E. Dato’ Seri Sanusi bin Junid, Minister of Agriculture of Malaysia; H.E. Mr. Bienvenido O. Marquez, Jr., Deputy Minister, Ministry of Natural Resources, Philippines; H.E. Mr. Teh Cheang Wan, Minister for National Development of the Republic of Singapore; H.E. General Ham Leenanond, Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives of Thailand; H.E. Mr. Achmad Affandi, Minister of Agriculture, Indonesia; and H.E. Prof. Dr. J.H. Hutasoit, Junior Minister for Livestock and Fisheries Development of Indonesia and their respective delegates. H.E. Mr. Roderick Yong, the Secretary-General of the ASEAN Secretariat and members of his staff, were also in attendance.
3. H.E. Mr. Achmad Affandi and H.E. Pengiran Dato Dr. Ismail were elected as Chairman and Vice Chairman of the Meeting respectively.
4. The Ministers reviewed the progress of the various projects undertaken by the Committee on Food, Agriculture and Forestry (COFAF) in the fields of crops, fisheries, livestock, forestry, food handling and the ASEAN Food Security Reserve arrangements. The Ministers also discussed other areas of cooperation including cooperation in agricultural cooperatives.
5. The Ministers noted with appreciation that in accordance with Article 9 of the ASEAN Food Security Reserve (AFSR) Agreement, Brunei Darussalam had deposited its Instrument of Ratification on the ASEAN Food Security Reserve Agreement with the Secretary-General of the ASEAN Secretariat thereby agreeing to accede to the AFSR Agreement.
6. The Ministers noted with satisfaction the progress made in the implementation of the ASEAN Declaration on Specific Animal Disease Free Zone and the ASEAN Declaration to Eradicate Foot and Mouth Disease (FMD) which were signed by the Ministers in their previous Meetings. In this connection, the Ministers approved the Philippine application to declare Palawan Island as FMD Free Zone.
7. The Ministers also noted with satisfaction the progress made in the implementation of cooperative undertakings in ASEAN countries in the field of agricultural extension covering activities such as exchange of visits of key farmers, organizing Farmers Week and training courses.
8. It was further noted that the Project Agreement on “Strengthening and Sharing of Development Support Communication (DSC) Resources in ASEAN” was signed in July 1986 underwhich the UNDP would provide technical assistance. The project centre is located at the Agricultural Education, Training and Extension Institute, Ciawi, Indonesia.
9. The Ministers were pleased to note the progress of the implementation of the ASEAN Ministerial Understanding on Fisheries Cooperation, which was signed at their Fifth Meeting in Singapore in October 1983. To further strengthen cooperation in this area, the Ministers approved the following projects:
- ASEAN Fisheries Development Centre (AFDC) to be located in Thailand and Indonesia would appoint the first Director of the Centre;
- ASEAN Aquaculture Development and Coordinating Programme (AADCP);
- ASEAN – Canada Fisheries Postharvest Technology – Phase II; and
- Marine Resource Assessment in the ASEAN Region.
10. The Ministers also noted the satisfactory progress made in the implementation of projects and activities in the field of food handling. To minimize further the postharvest losses in ASEAN countries and to strengthen ASEAN expertise and capabilities on the field of grains postharvest programme, the Ministers approved the project proposal on “ASEAN – EC Grains Postharvest Development Programme”.
11. The Ministers expressed appreciation to the offer of Brunei Darussalam to host the Ninth Meeting in 1987.
12. The delegation’s from Brunei Darussalam, Malaysia, Philippines, Singapore and Thailand expressed their sincere appreciation and thanks to the Government and people of the Republic of Indonesia for the warm hospitality accorded to them and for the excellent arrangements made for the Meeting. The Meeting also expressed appreciation to the ASEAN Secretariat for its valuable assistance.
13. The Ministers held their Meeting in the traditional spirit of ASEAN solidarity and cordiality.