1. The Fourth Meeting of the
2. The Meeting was officially opened by His Excellency Prof. S Jayakumar, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister for Law of the Republic of Singapore. In his keynote address, Prof. S Jayakumar emphasised
3. The Meeting was attended by
4. His Excellency Dr. Vivian Balakrishnan, Minister for Community Development, Youth and Sports of Singapore, and Mr. Sakhon Boonkhum, Deputy Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Social Development and Human Security of Thailand representing the Minister for Social Development and Human Security of Thailand, were Chairperson and Vice-Chairperson of the Meeting, respectively.
Enabling Self-Reliant Communities
5. The 4th
6. The Ministers noted the importance of accelerating the implementation of rural development and poverty eradication strategies in
7. The Ministers added that the participation and contributions of Dialogue Partners and interested regional and international organisations in the various
8. The Ministers agreed that ASEAN Member Countries should continue to use SOMRDPE and AMRDPE as platforms for the sharing of initiatives and experiences in encouraging and enabling self-reliance amongst communities in ASEAN. Where relevant, workshops could also be organised to facilitate the sharing.
9. The Ministers commended their Senior Officials for putting together a comprehensive Framework
10. The Ministers noted that projects have already been initiated to address some of the areas highlighted in the framework. Malaysia, for example, had conducted a regional workshop from 31 May to 2 June 2004 to share best practices on empowering rural communities to utilise ICT as a tool to enhance income. Thailand would also coordinate the implementation of an
11. The Ministers recognised the role of non-governmental and community organisations participating in the formulation and implementation of national policies and programmes, and looked forward to similar opportunities for collaboration in pursuing regional priorities.
12. The 4th
13. The Ministers stated their commitment to address the priorities outlined for the
14. The Ministers welcomed the preparation of the Vientiane
Cooperation with East
16. The Ministers commended the Senior Officials and the
Next Host of AMRDPE
17. The Ministers thanked Thailand for offering to host the Fifth Meeting of the
. . . . .