1. The Fifth Meeting of the ASEAN Economic Ministers on Energy Cooperation was held in Bangkok on 25 and 26 April 1985.
2. The Meeting was attended by H.E. Pehin Dato Abd Rahman Taib, Minister of Development of Brunei Darussalam; H.E. Dr. Subroto, Minister of Mines and Energy of Indonesia; H.E. Datuk Leo Moggie Anak Irok, Minister of Energy, Telecommunications and Post of Malaysia; H.E. Mr. Geronimo Z. Velasco, Minister of Energy of the Philippines; H.E. Brigadier-General (Res) Lee Hsien Loong, Minister of State for Trade and Industry and Minister of State for Defence of Singapore; H.E. Mr. Damrong Lathapipat, Minister of Science, Technology and Energy of Thailand, and their respective delegations.
3. H.E. Mr. Phan Wannamethee, the Secretary- General of the ASEAN Secretariat vas also present.
4. The Meeting was preceded by a preparatory Meeting of the ASEAN Senior Officials on Energy Cooperation held on 22 and 23 April 1985.
5. The representative of the Chairman of ASEAN Council on Petroleum (ASCOPE), Dr. Tongchat Hongladaromp, reported to the Meeting on the highlights of the activities of ASCOPE.
6. The Meeting discussed the global energy situation, particularly pertaining to the demand and supply for oil, and agreed that developing countries, including the ASEAN member countries, should step up their efforts in a timely manner to assure energy security both during periods of oversupply as ell s possible scarcity of oil in the future.
7. In view of the above, the Meeting directed the Senior Officials on Energy Cooperation, to convene a meeting in six months time to finalized the draft on. the ASEAN Petroleum Security Agreement, and, if possible, the draft Agreement on the ASEAN Energy Cooperation.
8. Similarly, the Ministers strongly reaffirmed their commitment to strengthen cooperation in the field of energy among member countries. The Meeting agreed that, for purposes of continuity and coordination, Thailand will serve as the interim technical secretariat of the ASEAN Senior officials on Energy Cooperation till the next Meeting of the ASEAN Economic Ministers on Energy Cooperation.
9. The Ministers affirmed the necessity for the establishment of an ASEAN Committee on Energy Cooperation,
10. The Meeting also discussed various cooperation activities in the field of energy including:
- Cooperation on coal
- Cooperation among power utilities
- Cooperation on new and renewable sources of energy
11. The Meeting endorsed the project on “Joint Training in Coal Resource Development, Logistics and Utilization”.
12. The Meeting agreed that the next Meeting of the ASEAN Economic Ministers on Energy Cooperation will be held in Indonesia on 1 – 2 May 1986.
13. The delegations of Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines and Singapore expressed their sincere appreciation to the Government and people of Thailand for the warm hospitality accorded to them and the excellent arrangements made for the Meeting.
14. The Meeting vas held in the traditions ASEAN spirit of solidarity and cordiality.