1. The Fourth Meeting of the ASEAN Economic Ministers on Energy Cooperation was held in Singapore on 19 January 1983.
2. The Meeting was attended by H.E. Dr. Subroto, Minister of Mines and Energy of Indonesia; H.E. Datuk Leo Moggie, Minister of Energy, Telecommunications and Posts of Malaysia; H.E. Mr. Geronimo Z. Velasco, Minister of Energy of the Philippines; H.E. Dr. Tony Tan Keng Yam, Minister for Trade and Industry of Singapore; H.E. Mr. Lee Yock Suan, Minister of State (National Development) of Singapore; H.E. Mr. Sidek Bin Saniff, Parliamentary Secretary (Trade and Industry) of Singapore; and H.E. Wing Comander Thinakorn Bhandhugravi, Minister of Science, Technology and Energy of Thailand.
3. H.E. Mr. Chan Kai Yau, Secretary-General of the ASEAN Secretariat ,as also present.
4. The Meeting was preceded by a meeting of Senior officials on Energy Cooperation held on 17 and 18 January 1983.
The Meeting agreed to pursue further ASEAN
5. cooperation on coal. A study on the ASEAN Coal Development would be carried out to cover the following topics;
- supply and demand of coal;
- logistics of distribution;
- establishment of an ASEAN Coal Information Centre;
- acquisition of appropriate coal technology and
- production costing and pricing.
6. The Meeting adopted the recommendations made by the Heads of ASEAN Power Utilities/ Authorities on cooperation in the following areas;
- Micro/mini-hydro power development
- Computer applications
- Research, development and engineering
- Geothermal power developments
- Nuclear power development
- Rural and urban electrifications
- Electric Power Information Centre
7. The Meeting agreed to monitor and inventorize developments on new and renewable energy sources for dissemination to member countries.
8. The Meeting strongly reaffirmed its position to form the ASEAN Committee on Energy Cooperation (COEC). it decided to recommend to the Task Force on the Review on ASEAN Cooperation and the Fifteenth Meeting of the ASEAN Economic Ministers the formation of the COEC and the creation of the post of Energy Officer in the, ASEAN Secretariat to deal exclusively with energy matters.
9. The Meeting endorsed the incorporation of a Supplementary Scheme into the ASEAN Council on Petroleum (ASCOPE)’s ASEAN Emergency Petroleum Sharing Scheme.
10. The Meeting was held in the traditional ASEAN spirit of solidarity and cordiality.