1. Pursuant to the Exchange of Notes between the Government of Japan and the Chairman of the ASEAN Standing Committee, the First Meeting of the ASEAN Japan Forum as held in Jakarta on 23 March 1977
2. The Japanese Delegation was led by Mr. Yosuke Nakae, Director-General, Asian Affairs Bureau, Ministry of Foreign Affairs, while the ASEAN Delegations ere headed by Mr. Umarjadi Njotowijono, Director-General, ASEAN-Indonesia, Datuk Ali Abdullah Director-General ASEAN- Malaysia, Ambassador Modesto Farolan, Director-General ASEAN-Philippines, Mr. Tan Boon Seng, Director-General ASEAN-Singapore, and Mr. Nissai Vejjajiva, Director-General, ASEAN-Thailand. Mr. Hartono Rekso Dharsono, ASEAN Secretary General vas also in attendance. Mr. Umarjadi Njotowijono, Director-General, ASEAN-Indonesia, was the Spokesman of ASEAN at the Meeting.
3. The Meeting was declared open by H.E. Dr. Widjojo Nitisastro, Minister of State for Economic, Financial and Industrial Affairs/Chairman of the National Development Planning Agency of Indonesia.
4. The Meeting marked the formalization of the ASEAN-Japan Forum, entrusted with the task of reviewing, monitoring and recommending measures to strengthen and expand cooperation between ASEAN and Japan, particularly in the field of industrial development, trade, and food and agriculture. The Japanese Delegation expressed japans support of ASEAN to develop regional resilience and the willingness to help accelerate the economic development of ASEAN. Towards this end, Japan expressed its readiness to study seriously the ASEAN proposals.
5. The ASEAN Delegations expressed its appreciation on the progress made in the ASEAN- Japan Rubber Forum.
6. The ASEAN and the Japanese delegations expressed their sincere appreciation to the Government and people of Indonesia for the warm hospitality extended to them during their stay in Indonesia.