a) a high level of intra-ASEAN cooperation in science and technology that is synergistic and self-sustaining and having the active participation of the private sector;
b) a network of S&T infrastructure and pro grammes for public and private sector human resource development;
c) an active economically-beneficial institution industry technology transfer;
d) an enhanced state of public awareness of the importance of science and technology to ASEAN’s economic development; and
e) an expanded S&T cooperation with the international community.
a) Supporting regionaI S&T programmes that are economically and socially beneficial to ASEAN.
b) Providing close coordination and management of S&T activities.
c) Developing S&T human resources.
d) Information networking of centres of excellence.
e) Promoting institution-industry technology transfer.
f) Promoting S&T awareness.
- In line with the objectives, the Plan of Action calls for the further strengthening of the existing cooperation programmes and developing new programmes on standards and quality assurance and enabling tech nologies, such as remote sensing and geographic information system (GIS).
- To support the implementation of the Plan of Action, the Ministers agreed to adopt the following measures aimed at greater self-reliance in funding S&T activities:
a) cost-sharing on the basis of country participa tion for the implementation of projects to be the primary modality for funding S&T activities;
b) the ASEAN Science Fund to be maintained in order to accommodate existing and future contributions; and
c) S&T projects to be submitted for funding support under the ASEAN Fund, as appropriate.
- Towards the end of their meeting, the Ministers and their Senior Officials participated in a tree planting activity at the ASEAN Garden in Intramuros.
- The Ministers agreed to hold the 7th Meeting of ASEAN Ministers for Science and Technology in Thailand in 1995 in conjunction with the 4th ASEAN Science and Technology Week.
- The Ministers from Brunei Darussalam, Indonesia, Malaysia, Singapore and Thailand expressed their sincere appreciation to the Government and people of the Republic of the Philippines for the warm hospitality accorded them and the excellent arrangements made for the Meeting.
- The Meeting was held in the traditional spirit of ASEAN cordiality and solidarity.