Joint Press Statement The Second ASEAN-ROK Joint Sectoral Cooperation Committee
Seoul, 11-12 June 1991
- The Second Meeting of the ASEAN-Republic of Korea Joint Sectoral Cooperation Committee (ASEAN-ROK JSCC) was held in Seoul on 11-12 June 1991.
- The Meeting was attended by delegations from the ASEAN member countries and the ROK. The Deputy Secretary-General of the ASEAN Secretariat and his staff were also present.
- H.E. Mr. Lee Ki Choo, Assistant Minister of the Ministry of Foreign Affairs, ROK, and H.E. Mr. Agus Tarmidzi, Director-General, ASEAN-Indonesia, jointly chaired the Meeting.
- The Meeting noted with satisfaction that the relations between ASEAN and, ROK have registered substantial progress since the establishment of the ASEAN-ROK Sectoral Dialogue Relations in November 1989.
- The Meeting reviewed the results of the cooperation projects which were agreed at the First Meeting of the ASEAN-ROK JSCC in August 1990 and noted that those projects including ASEAN Week in Seoul were completed with great success.
- The Meeting exchanged views on ways and means to further enhance cooperative relations between ASEAN and ROK as it was noted that the coming ASEAN Ministerial Meeting (AMM) in July 1991 would be expected to make final decision on elevation of ROK’s status to a full dialogue partner and its participation in the Post Ministerial Conferences (PMC). When the ROK’s status is elevated to full dialogue partner, the JSCC Meeting will be named as the ASEAN-Republic of Korea Joint Cooperation Committee.
- The Meeting also agreed that the ASEAN – ROK cooperation would be expanded to other areas including development cooperation, transfer of technology and Human Resources Development (HRD) in addition to trade, investment and tourism.
- The Meeting also welcomed the participation of the ASEAN-ROK Business Council beginning from the next Meeting.
- It was agreed that the next Meeting would be held in Malaysia in 1992.
- The Meeting was held in an atmosphere of friendship and cooperation. The ASEAN delegations expressed their gratitude for the warm hospitality and the excellent arrangements accorded by the Government and people of the Republic of Korea.