1 . The 13th ASEAN – New Zealand Dialogue Meeting was held in Hanoi, Vietnam on 28 – 29 October 1996.
2. Appointed by ASEAN as the Country Coordinator for dialogue relations with New Zealand upon becoming, an official member of ASEAN in July 1995, Vietnam hosted the ASEAN – New Zealand Dialogue Meeting for the first time. The Meeting was co-chaired by H.E. Mr. Vu Khoan, Deputy Foreign Minister of Vietnams and H.E. Mr. Neil Walter, Deputy Secretary of Foreign Affairs and Trade of New Zealand.
3. The Meeting noted that the ASEAN – New Zealand dialogue relationship established in 1975 is one of the longest formal linkages between ASEAN and its dialogue partners. The dialogue meeting is a regular forum held approximately every 18 months for both sides to discuss the orientation and measures to consolidate and strengthen the ASEAN – New Zealand relationship.
4. The Meeting provided a useful occasion to exchange views on a wide range of matters of mutual interest. The Meeting had a thorough review of the over-all ASEAN – New Zealand relations including the implementation of the ASEAN – New Zealand Economic Cooperation Programme (ANZECP). Discussions centered on growing cooperation between ASEAN and New Zealand in the fields of trade, investment, science and technology, environment, tourism and human resource development. Particular satisfaction was expressed over the new AFTA- CER linkages and the practical projects to which it has given rise. Development cooperation continues to be one of the main focuses of the ASEAN – New Zealand partnership and has been given a new dimension with the expansion in ASEAN membership. The Meeting re- affirmed its commitment to achieve the ultimate objective of raising the living standards in ASEAN.
5. The Meeting recognised New Zealand’s extensive engagement with the region and was satisfied that the dialogue relationship between ASEAN and New Zealand had been increasingly strengthened. A solid foundation had been laid down for further intensified and broadened cooperation. The Meeting agreed that there is an ample opportunity to further enhance future ASEAN – New Zealand cooperation. To this end, the Meeting agreed on a range of appropriate measures including the enhancement of two-way trade and investment to ensure the cooperation programmes/projects meet the common desires and interests.
6. The Meeting was briefed on preparations for the forthcoming First ASEAN Informal Summit in Indonesia, the APEC Leaders Meeting in the Philippines, on ASEM and the ASEAN – Mekong Basin Development Cooperation among other latest developments in regional economic and trade relations.
7. The Meeting also received a report from both ASEAN and New Zealand business representatives. The Meeting looked forward to the closer private sector engagement in dialogue partnership activities.
8. The next Dialogue Meeting would be held in New Zealand in about eighteen months’ time.
9. The Meeting expressed sincere appreciation to the Vietnamese Government for the warm hospitality accorded to the ASEAN and New Zealand delegates and excellent arrangements made to ensure the fine success of the Meeting.
Hanoi’. 29 October 1996