The Governments of Brunei Darussalam, the Republic of Indonesia, Malaysia, the Republic of the Philippines, the Republic of Singapore, the Kingdom of Thailand and the Socialist Republic of Vietnam;
DESIRING to amend the Agreement on ASEAN Energy Cooperation, hereinafter referred to as the “Agreement”, which was signed by the contracting parties on the 24th day of June 1986, in order to accomodate the need to have a more focused energy cooperation in ASEAN so as to pursue activities that would enhance the ASEAN economic cooperation in the region in accordance, with the Framework Agreement on Enhancing ASEAN Economic Cooperation as embodied in the 1992 Singapore Declaration;
HAVE AGREED AS FOLLOWS:
Article 1 para 2 of the Agreement shall be amended to read as follows:
2. The range of cooperation will span planing development mampower training, information exchange, and encouraging private sector participation, where appropriate, in any of the following energy areas:
(i) resource investigation, exploration, assessment planning and development,
(ii) energy policy and planning,
(iii) techological research, development and demonstration;
(iv) transfer of technology;
(v) implementation of energy efficiency and conservation measures;
(vi) energy and environment;
(vii) energy supply planning and diversification;
(viii) processing, handling, transport and distribution of various energy forms;
(ix) standardization of energy related facilities;
(x) safety programmes in the entire chain from exploration, development, production to distribution of various energy products;
(xi) energy security arrangements for emergency situations; and
(xii) promoting a more conducive environment for commercial and investment opportunities in all aspects of the energy sectors.
Article 2 of the Agreement shall be added with sub para (iv) to read as follows:
COOPERATION IN PLANNING
(iv) developing strategies to promote energy and environmental planning as well as environmental impact assessment and mitigation plans/measures.
The title of Article 4 of the Agreement shall be amended to read as follows:
COOPERATION IN ENERGY EFFICIENCY AND CONSERVATION
Article 8 of the Agreement shall be amended to read as follows
INSTITUTIONAL AND IMPLEMENTATION ARRANGEMENT
1. The ASEAN Economic Ministers Meeting on Energy Cooperation (AEMMEC), hereinafter referred to as the ASEAN Ministers on Energy Meeting (AMEM), shall be held annually or as appropriate to give guidance as well as approve policies, strategies and action programmes envisaged in this Agreement. Special AMEM may be held as and when necessary. The AMEM shall be supported by Senior Officials Meeting on Energy Cooperation (SOMEC), hereinafter referred to as the Senior Officials’ Meeting on Energy (SOME).
2. The SOME shall promote and review the various cooperation programmes envisaged in this Agreement. The SOME shall be held annually, and Special Meetings may becalled by the Chairman of SOME at the request of a Member Country/Member Countries.
3. The implementation of this Agreement shall be the responsibility of Member Countries and ASEAN specialised agency(ies)/institution(s) to be designated by SOME and approved by AMEM.
4. The Chairman of SOME jointly with the ASEAN Secretariat, in collaboration with the Chairmen of Ad-Hoc Working Groups and relevant agency(ies)/institution(s) shall coordinate, manage and monitor the implementation of this Agreement particularly programmes related to Articles 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 and 7.
5. The ASEAN Secretariat shall provide administrative support for the SOME and AMEM.
1. This Protocol shall enter into force upon date of signature.
2. This Protocol shall be deposited with the Secretary-General of ASEAN, who shall likewise promptly furnish a certified copy thereof to each Member Country.
IN WITNESS WHEREOF the undersigned, being duly authorised thereto by their respective Governments, have signed this Protocol Amending the Agreement on ASEAN Energy Cooperation.
DONE at Bangkok, this 15th day of December 1995 in a single copy in the English Language.