The Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) and the European Commission (EC) on behalf of the European Union:
RECOGNIZING the mutual benefit derived from the implementation of the Phase I (1988-1995) of the ASEAN-EC Energy Management Training and Research Centre (AEEMTRC. hereinafter called the Centre) in the enhancing cooperation among ASEAN Member Countries and between ASEAN and the European Union in the field of energy;
DESIRING to amend the Agreement on the Establishment of the ASEAN-EC Energy Management Training and Research Centre in order to enable the Centre to continue to operate and implement its Phase II Programme of Work;
HAVE AGREED AS FOLLOWS:
Article 6 of the Agreement shall be amended to read as follows:
BUDGET AND FUNDING
1. The Center shall be financed by the ASEAN and the EC
2. The Contribution of ASEAN to the Centre shall include:
2.1 The contribution of the ASEAN which shall:
- cover a portion of the allowances or salaries for the management of the Centre, the permanent researchers, and other scientific supporting personnel;
- be in kind and in the form of facilities for training courses and seminars.
2.2 The additional contribution of the host country to the Centre which shall be in the form of:
- office facilities;
- general office expenses, including salaries of local auxiliary staff.
3. The EC financial support shall cover:
- the cost of research and training programmes and courses;
- a portion of the allowances or salaries for the management of the Centre, the permanent researchers and other scientific supporting personnel;
- operational costs of the Centre, except those indicated under 2 above.
4. The ASEAN and EC financial contributions for the Centre shall be settled in accordance with special financing agreements covering the period of validity of the establishment agreement and any amendments to the establishment agreement. Any further contributions shall be agreed upon an annual basis in accordance with internal budgetary appropriations and procedures.
5. The income obtained from payment or compensation of consulting services rendered by the Centre may be used to cover part of the annual budget of the Centre.
Article 11 shall be amended to read as follows:
ENTRY INTO FORCE AND DURATION
This Agreement shall come into force as of the date of its signing and shall remain in force until the 17th day of July 1998, subject to the right of either party to terminate it in writing given six months before the date of expiry. The termination shall not prejudice the completion of any on-going programmes of the centre, as may be agreed at the time of termination between the two parties.
All other Articles of the “Agreement of the Establishment of the ASEAN-EC Energy Management Training and Research Centre” shall remain unchanged. This Protocol is drawn up in the English language in two copies, each of these copies being equally authentic.
DONE at Brussels, this 18th day of July 1995
For the Association of South East Asian Nations
H.E. DR. SOMKIATI ARIYAPRUCHYA
Ambassador of Thailand to the European Communities
Chairman of the of the ASEAN Brussels Committee
For the European Union
Vice-President of the European Commission