1. We, the Transport Ministers of ASEAN and Japan, held our Second Meeting (ATM + Japan) on 24 November 2004 in Phnom Penh, Cambodia. H.E. Mr. Sun Chanthol, Minister of Public Works and Transport for Cambodia and H.E. Mr. Hayao Hora, Vice-Minister for International Affairs, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport of Japan, co-chaired the Meeting.
2. We were pleased with the significant progress made in the implementation of the 16 projects under the ASEAN-Japan Transport Partnership since our first Meeting in October 2003 in Yangon, Myanmar. Though barely over a year old, this partnership had played an active role in enhancing human and institutional capability in areas such as transport security and safety, urban transport development and seafarers policy cooperation, transfer of technical know-how and technology for efficient and sustainable transport services. It has also provided new insights into the understanding of logistics bottlenecks existing within ASEAN and between ASEAN and Japan as well as specific measures needed to address them. We would continue to exert our best efforts to ensure the steady implementation of these joint projects.
3. We agreed to broaden and deepen the transport partnership, with the adoption of five new projects and their work plans for 2004-2005. Building upon the momentum generated over the past year, the new work plan focuses on the following specific areas: Transport Logistics Improvement, Airport and Aviation Security, Road Transport Safety, Use of Alternative Fuels for Public Transport and Transport Information Exchange. We welcomed Japan’s proposal to convene the Third ASEAN-Japan Transport Policy Workshop sometime in June 2005 in Gifu-City of Central Japan.
4. We thanked the Royal Government of Cambodia for the excellent arrangement made for the Meeting and agreed to hold our next Meeting in Lao PDR in 2005.
List of Ministers
(i) H.E. Pehin Dato Haji Zakaria Sulaiman, Minister of Communications, Brunei Darussalam;
(ii) H.E. Mr. Sun Chanthol, Minister of Public Works and Transport, Cambodia;
(iii) H.E. Mr. M. Hatta Rajasa, Minister of Communications, Indonesia;
(iv) H.E. Mr. Hayao Hora, Vice-Minister for International Affairs, Ministry of Land, Infrastructure and Transport, Japan;
(v) H.E. Mr. Sommad Pholsena, Deputy Minister of Communication, Transport, Post and Construction, Lao PDR;
(vi) H.E. Dato’ Sri Chan Kong Choy, Minister of Transport, Malaysia;
(vii) H.E. Maj. Gen. Thein Swe, Minister for Transport, Myanmar
(viii) H.E. Mr. Arturo T. Valdez, Undersecretary (Deputy Minister) for Transportation, Philippines;
(ix) H.E. Mr. Yeo Cheow Tong, Minister for Transport, Singapore;
(x) H.E. Mr. Nikorn Chamnong, Deputy Minister of Transport, Thailand;
(xi) H.E. Mr. Nguyen Tien Sam, Vice Minister of Transport, Viet Nam; and
(xii) H.E. Mr. Ong Keng Yong, ASEAN Secretary General.
List of ASEAN and Japan Transport Partnership Projects
1) Transport Logistics Project
2) New Air Navigation System
3) Aviation Security Project(New)
4) Airport Study Project (New)
5) Seafarers Policy Cooperation
6) Maritime Transport Security Program
7) Cruise Promotion Project
8) High Speed Maritime Network Project
9) “Mega-Float” Promotion Project
10) Port Technology Research Project
11) Cooperation on Coast Guard Development
12) Public Transport Smart Card Initiative
13) Intelligent Transport System Development
14) Automobile Technical Cooperation Project on Safety and Environmental
15) Road Signage Harmonization
16) ASEAN Railways Revival Plan
17) Urban Transport Policy Framework
18) Alternative Fuel Project for Transport Sector(New)
19) Road Transport Safety Project(New)
20) Transport Policy Officials Training in Japan
21) Transport Information Platform Project(New)