WE, the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of the Governments of Brunei Darussalam, the Kingdom of Cambodia, the Republic of Indonesia, the Lao People’s Democratic Republic, Malaysia, the Union of Myanmar, the Republic of the Philippines, the Republic of Singapore, the Kingdom of Thailand, and the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam, Member Countries of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN), hereinafter referred to individually as “Member Country” and collectively as “Member Countries”;
RECALLING the purposes of, and the commitments contained in, the ASEAN Declaration on the Protection and Promotion of the Rights of Migrant Workers (the Declaration) signed by the Heads of State / Government of the ASEAN Member Countries at the 12th ASEAN Summit in Cebu, Philippines, specifically the mandate to task the relevant ASEAN bodies to follow up on the Declaration and to develop an ASEAN instrument on the protection and promotion of the rights of migrant workers, consistent with ASEAN’s vision of a caring and sharing Community;
RECALLING also the relevant international instruments on the protection and promotion of the rights of migrant workers, which can serve as a basis for enhancing international cooperation in this area;
DO HEREBY STATE AS FOLLOWS:
Establishment of the ASEAN Committee on
the Implementation of the ASEAN Declaration on
the Protection and Promotion of the Rights
of Migrant Workers
There shall be established an ASEAN Committee on the Implementation of the Declaration on the Protection and Promotion of the Rights of Migrant Workers hereinafter referred to as the Committee.
Purpose of the Committee
The Committee, in accordance with the national laws, regulations, and policies of Member Countries, will serve as the focal point within ASEAN to coordinate the following:
- Ensuring the effective implementation of the commitments made under the Declaration; and
- Facilitating the development of an ASEAN instrument on the protection and promotion of the rights of migrant workers.
Structure of the Committee
The Committee shall:
- Be composed of one senior representative from each of the Member Countries, as well as a representative from the ASEAN Secretariat;
- Be assisted by representatives from the concerned government agencies of each Member Country;
- Report to the Senior Labor Officials Meeting (SLOM);
- Be chaired by the representative of the country that holds the Chairmanship of the ASEAN Standing Committee; and
- Be provided secretarial support by the ASEAN Secretariat.
Functions of the Committee
Subject to the national laws, regulations, and policies of the Member Countries, the functions of the Committee will be as follows:
- Explore all avenues to achieve the objectives of the Declaration;
- Facilitate sharing of best practices in the ASEAN region on matters concerning the promotion and protection of the rights of migrant workers;
- Promote bilateral and regional cooperation and assistance on matters involving the rights of migrant workers;
- Facilitate data sharing on matters related to migrant workers, for the purpose of enhancing policies and programmes to protect and promote the rights of migrant workers in both sending and receiving countries;
- Encourage international organisations, ASEAN Dialogue Partners and other countries to respect the principles and extend support and assistance to the implementation of the measures contained in the Declaration;
- Promote harmonisation of mechanisms between both sending and receiving countries that promote and protect the rights of migrant workers to implement the ASEAN commitment reflected in paragraph 17 of the Declaration;
- Work closely with the ASEAN Secretariat in the preparation of the report of the Secretary-General of ASEAN to the ASEAN Summit; and
- Work towards the development of an ASEAN instrument on the protection and promotion of the rights of migrant workers.
ADOPTED in Manila, Philippines, this Thirtieth Day of July in the Year Two Thousand and Seven.