It is important to recognise the varying stages of development among the ASEAN Member States and the development gaps that exists between and among them. The Initiative for ASEAN Integration is an ASEAN framework designed to ensure that benefits from the ASEAN Community are equitably shared among all ASEAN Member States and is guided by the following ASEAN Leaders’ declaration and directives:
- Hanoi Declaration on Narrowing Development Gap for Closer ASEAN Integration 2001
- Declaration of ASEAN Concord II (Bali Concord II) 2003.
- Vientiane Action Programme 2004-2010
- Cha-am Hua Hin Declaration on the Roadmap for the ASEAN Community 2009-2015
- Kuala Lumpur Declaration on ASEAN 2025: Forging Ahead Together
- Vientiane Declaration on the Adoption of the IAI Work Plan III