The ASEAN Agreement on Disaster Management and Emergency Response (AADMER) is a manifestation of ASEAN’s strong commitment to reduce disaster losses in the region and to jointly respond to disaster emergencies. Signed by the Foreign Ministers of ASEAN in Vientiane, Lao PDR in July 2005, AADMER captures the aspirations of the ASEAN Member States and ASEAN as a region in strategically managing disasters as well as jointly responding to disaster emergencies in the region.
Following the ratification of AADMER by all ASEAN Member States, the Conference of the Parties is therefore established. Article 21.3 of AADMER states that the Conference of the Parties shall keep under continues review and evaluation the implementation of the AADMER. In this connection, the Conference of the Parties (COP) shall:
- Take such action as is necessary to ensure the effective implementation of this agreement;
- Consider report and other information which may be submitted by a party directly or through the secretariat;
- Consider and adopt protocols in accordance with article 25 of this agreement
- Consider and adopt any amendment to this agreement;
- Adopt, review and amend as required for the implementation of this agreement;
- Establish subsidiary bodies as may be required for the implementation of this agreement; and
- Consider and undertake any additional action that may be required for the achievement of the objective of this agreement.
The first Meeting of the COP to AADMER was held in Jakarta, Indonesia on 15-16 March 2012, and was attended by the Secretary-General of ASEAN and Ministers in charge of disaster management from all ASEAN Member States, except Cambodia. The first Meeting also adopted the Rules of Procedures for Meetings of the COP to AADMER.
The following are the Meetings of the COP to AADMER:
- 1st Meeting of the COP to AADMER, 15-16 March 2012, Jakarta, Indonesia
- 2nd Meeting of the COP to AADMER, 30 May 2013, Hanoi, Vietnam
- 3rd Meeting of the COP to AADMER, 16 October 2014, Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam
- 4th Meeting of the COP to AADMER, 16 December 2015, Phnom Penh, Cambodia
- 5th Meeting of the COP to AADMER, 13 October 2016, Manado, Indonesia
- 6th Meeting of the COP to AADMER, 19 October 2017, Luang Prabang, Lao PDR
The ordinary meetings of the COP shall be convened at least once every year and extraordinary meetings upon request of one Party provided that such request is supported by at least one party. The extraordinary or special meetings of the COP may be called in the event of crisis or emergency situations affecting ASEAN to develop arrangement to address such situations in a timely manner.
In line with the above, the COP has delegated and tasked the ACDM to take charge in the implementation of AADMER Work Programme.