The Secretary-General of ASEAN is appointed by the ASEAN Summit for a non-renewable term of office of five years, selected from among nationals of the ASEAN Member States based on alphabetical rotation.
The Secretary-General of ASEAN 2018 -2022 is H.E. Dato Lim Jock Hoi from Brunei Darussalam.
Find out more about the Secretary-General of ASEAN from Article 11 of the ASEAN Charter.
H.E. LIM JOCK HOI
Dato Lim Jock Hoi was the Permanent Secretary at the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Brunei Darussalam since 2006.
During his tenure, he served as Brunei Darussalam’s Senior Official for the ASEAN Economic Community Pillar (SEOM), APEC (Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation) and the ASEM (Asia-Europe Meeting). He was a member of the High Level Task Force on ASEAN Economic Integration (HLTF-EI) since 2001, serving as the HLTF-EI Chair in 2017. He was Brunei Darussalam’s Chief Negotiator for the Trans-Pacific Partnership Agreement (TPP), as well as for the P4, precursor to the TPP negotiations. Previously, he was also the Co-Chair during the negotiations for the ASEAN-Australia-New Zealand Free Trade Area (AANZFTA), and also served as Brunei Darussalam’s Chief Negotiator for the Brunei Darussalam-Japan Economic Partnership Agreement (BJEPA).
From June 2011-2017, he was the Chairman of the Governing Board of the Economic Research Institute for ASEAN and East Asia (ERIA). He was also on the External Advisory Board for the ASEAN 2030 Study being undertaken by the Asian Development Bank (ADB).
He entered the Government Service as an education officer in 1977 and served as principal of a Secondary School from 1981 – 1985. From February 2001 – July 2005, he was appointed as Director-General, International Relations and Trade Development, Ministry of Industry and Primary Resources. In September 2005, he was appointed as Deputy Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade.
He graduated from the City of London Polytechnic in B.Sc (Hons) Economics in 1976 and received his Post Graduate Certificate of Education in 1977.
He was awarded The Most Honourable Order of Seri Paduka Mahkota Brunei, second Class (D.P.M.B) in 2007. He is married with two sons.
Updated on 1 January 2018
- Remarks H.E. Dato Lim Jock Hoi, Secretary General of ASEAN Launching Event for the “Enhancing the Detection Capacity for COVID-19 in ASEAN Member States Project”
- Opening Remarks of H.E. Dato Lim Jock Hoi, Secretary General of ASEAN for The Hand-over Ceremony of Aid from the Chinese Government to the ASEAN Secretariat
- Opening Remarks of SG Dato Lim Jock Hoi at The Opening Ceremony of The ASEAN High-Level Symposium on Disaster Management
- Keynote speech By H.E. Dato Lim Jock Hoi Secretary-General of ASEAN at The Opening Ceremony of The ASEAN-Australia Young Leaders Forum (AAYLF), 29 November 2019, Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Opening Remarks By H.E. Dato Lim Jock Hoi, Secretary-General of ASEAN for the ‘ASEAN Women Interfaith Dialogue: Promoting Understanding for an Inclusive and Peaceful Society, 12 November 2019 , Jakarta, Indonesia.
- Opening Remarks for Secretary-General Dato Lim Jock Hoi on The ASEAN Day for Disaster Management (ADDM) “Bridging Disaster Recovery to Resilience”
- Keynote Speech of Secretary-General of ASEAN H.E. Dato Lim Jock Hoi “ASEAN in Vienna: A Forum with Secretary-General Dato Lim Jock Hoi”, 17 September 2019, Vienna, Austria.
- Welcome Remarks by H.E. Dato Lim Jock Hoi Secretary-General of ASEAN Celebration of 52nd ASEAN Day, 8 August 2019, Jakarta, Indonesia
- Welcome Remarks Dato Lim Jock Hoi, ASEAN Secretary-General Inauguration of New ASEC Building, 8 August 2019, Jakarta, Indonesia
- Keynote Speech by H.E. Dato Lim Jock Hoi, Secretary General of ASEAN at Jeju Forum for Peace and Prosperity 2019 “Asia Towards Resilient Peace: For Cooperation and Integration” 30 May 2019, Jeju Island, ROK
- Opening Remarks By H.E. Dato Lim Jock Hoi, Secretary-General of ASEAN “ICRC-ASEAN Secretariat Platform on Challenges and Humanitarian Action in ASEAN”