1. The 12th Ministerial Meeting on the ASEAN-Mekong Basin Development Cooperation (AMBDC) was held in Da Nang, Viet Nam on 27 August 2010. The Meeting was chaired by H.E. Vo Hong Phuc, the Minister of Planning and Investment, Viet Nam. The Meeting was attended by delegates from the ASEAN Member States and the People’s Republic of China.
2. The Ministers took note of the progress made in the implementation of AMBDC projects. As of 13 July 2010, there are 47 projects at various stages of implementation. A total of 14 projects still require funding worth US$272.5 million.
3. The Meeting exchanged views on efforts to search for new modalities of resource mobilization for AMBDC projects. Further discussion will be sought by the AMBDC members with the assistance from the ASEAN Secretariat and will be reported at the next Steering Committee Meeting of AMBDC.
4. The Ministers continued to place priority on AMBDC’s flagship project, the Singapore-Kunming Rail Link (SKRL), and noted its progress of activities. At present the missing links are at various stages of development. The circular rail link connecting the capital cities will be approximately 7,000 km in length. The Meeting noted that the 12th Special Working Group Meeting on SKRL will be held in October 2010 in Siem Reap, Cambodia. As for the SKRL project, about US$ 4.7 million has been secured as grants and another US$ 40 million for Cambodia in the form of soft loans by ADB.
5. The Ministers recognised that the activities under SKRL need to be aligned and synchronised with the ASEAN Master Plan on Connectivity. The Ministers shared the views that the effort will contribute to the further enhancement of integration and cooperation within the region.
List of Ministers
1. Dato Lim Jock Hoi, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Brunei Darussalam (representing H.E. Pehin Dato Lim Jock Seng, Second Minister of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Brunei Darussalam)
2. H.E. Cham Prasidh, Senior Minister and Minister of Commerce, Cambodia
3. H.E. Du Ying, Vice Chairman, National Development and Reform Commission, the People’s Republic of China
4. Mr. Iman Pambagyo, Director, Department of International Trade Cooperation Ministry of Trade, Indonesia (representing H.E. Mari Elka Pangestu, Minister of Trade, Indonesia)
5. H.E. Nam Viyaketh, Minister of Industry and Commerce, Lao PDR
6. Mr. Ravidran Palaniappan, Senior Director, Ministry of International Trade and Industry, Malaysia (representing H.E. Dato’ Sri Mustapa Mohamed, Minister of International Trade and Industry, Malaysia)
7. H.E. U Soe Tha, Minister for National Planning and Economic Development, Myanmar
8. Mr. Ramon Kabiting, Assistant Secretary of Trade and Industry, the Philippines (representing H.E. Gregory L. Domingo, Secretary of Trade and Industry, the Philippines
9. Ms. Sulaimah Mahmood, Director, Ministry of Trade and Industry, Singapore (representing H.E. Lim Hng Kiang, Minister for Trade and Industry, Singapore)
10. Mrs. Nuntawan Sakuntanaga, Director-General, Department of Trade Negotiations, Ministry of Commerce (representing H.E. Porntiva Nakasai, Minister of Commerce, Thailand)
11. H.E. Vo Hong Phuc, Minister of Planning and Investment, Viet Nam
12. Mr. Rony Soerakoesoemah, Assistant Director, ASEAN Economic Community Department, ASEAN Secretariat (representing H.E. Surin Pitsuwan, Secretary-General of ASEAN)