1. The AEM-Russia Consultations was held on 11 August 2011 in Manado, Indonesia. The Consultations was co-chaired by H.E. Dr. Mari Elka Pangestu, Minister of Trade of Indonesia and H.E. Andrey Aleksandrovich Slepnev, Deputy Minister of Economic Development of the Russian Federation.
2. The Ministers expressed hope that the ministerial-level consultations will become a permanent institution of the Russia-ASEAN economic cooperation. The Ministers exchanged views on current developments affecting regional and global trade and noted the rebound in trade between ASEAN and Russia after a decline in 2009 due to the global financial crisis.
3. The Ministers reaffirmed their commitment to enhance trade and investment between the two regions. They noted the progress of the draft ASEAN-Russia Trade and Investment Roadmap and urged senior officials and the Joint Expert Group to accord due priority in finalising the Roadmap.
4. The Ministers emphasized the importance of the WTO as a multilateral trading system and agreed to work together towards the prompt conclusion of the Doha Round, and for an ambitious and balanced outcome. The Ministers reiterated their support for the WTO accession of Lao PDR as early as possible and Russia by the end of the year. Given the mutually reinforcing roles that ASEAN and APEC play in the evolving regional architecture in the Asia-Pacific region, the Ministers looked forward to Russia’s chairmanship of APEC in 2012.
5. The Ministers also looked forward to the 6th East Asia Summit (EAS) in November 2011 where Russia will officially participate as a member of the EAS. In this regard, the ASEAN Economic Ministers welcomed Russia’s intention to be involved in all sectoral mechanisms under the EAS, which include the Economic Ministers’ Consultations.
LIST OF MINISTERS
1. H.E. Pehin Dato Lim Jock Seng, Second Minister, Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Trade, Brunei Darussalam
2. H.E. Cham Prasidh, Senior Minister and Minister of Commerce, Cambodia
3. H.E. Mari Elka Pangestu, Minister of Trade, Indonesia
4. H.E. Mahendra Siregar, Vice Minister of Trade, Indonesia
5. H.E. Nam Viyaketh, Minister of Industry and Commerce, Lao PDR
6. H.E. Dato’ Sri Mustapa Mohamed, Minister of International Trade and Industry, Malaysia
7. H.E. U Tin Naing Thein, Minister for National Planning and Economic Development, Myanmar
8. H.E. Gregory L. Domingo, Secretary of Trade and Industry, the Philippines
9. H.E. Andrey Aleksandrovich Slepnev, Deputy Minister of Economic Development, the Russian Federation
10. H.E. Lim Hng Kiang, Minister for Trade and Industry, Singapore
11. Mr. Yangyong Phuangrach, Permanent Secretary Ministry of Commerce, Thailand
12. H.E. Nguyen Cam Tu, Deputy Minister of Industry and Trade, Viet Nam
13. H.E. Surin Pitsuwan, Secretary-General of ASEAN