1. The First Meeting of the Transport Ministers of ASEAN and Republic of Korea was held on 11 December 2009 in Ha Noi, Viet Nam. The Meeting was co-chaired by H.E. Ho Nghia Dzung, Minister of Transport of Viet Nam and H.E. Choi Jang-Hyun, Vice Minister of Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs of the Republic of Korea (ROK).
2. The Ministers welcomed the outcomes of the 12th ASEAN-ROK Summit held on 24 October 2009 in Cha-am, Hua Hin that emphasised the need for ASEAN and ROK to expand cooperation in all modes of transportation. Implementing the decision of the Leaders, the Ministers agreed to formalise the engagement between ASEAN and ROK on transport cooperation by conducting annual ASEAN-ROK Transport Ministers meetings in the conjunction with the ASEAN Transport Ministers meetings.
3. The Ministers discussed the future direction of ASEAN-ROK transport cooperation and adopted the Framework of Transport Cooperation between Transport Authorities of the Association of Southeast Asian Nations and the Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs of the Republic of Korea, as attached. Under the Framework, the two sides will cooperate in the areas of land transport, air transport, maritime transport and transport facilitation through the implementation of joint projects and activities.
4. To implement this Framework of Cooperation, the Ministers noted the progress in the development of the ASEAN-ROK Transport Cooperation Roadmap which identified the potential project and activities to be undertaken in the next 5 years. The Ministers tasked their senior officials to finalise the Roadmap for adoption at their next Meeting in 2010. The projects and activities of cooperation will be conducted in the forms of, among others, human resources development and education, institutional and technical assistance, and infrastructure feasibility studies.
5. The Ministers expressed their sincere appreciation to the Government and people of the Socialist Republic of Viet Nam for the warm hospitality accorded to the delegations and the excellent arrangements made for the meeting. The Ministers agreed to hold the 2nd ATM + ROK in Bandar Seri Begawan, Brunei Darussalam in 2010.
LIST OF MINISTERS
(a). H.E. Pehin Dato Abu Bakar Apong, Minister of Communications for Brunei Darussalam;
(b). H.E. Mr. Tram Ivtek, Minister of Public Works and Transport of Cambodia;
(c). Mr. Tatang Kurniadi, representing H.E. Mr. Freddy Numberi, Minister for Transportation of Indonesia;
(d). H.E. Mr. Choi Jang-Hyun, Vice Minister of Ministry of Land, Transport and Maritime Affairs, Republic of Korea.
(e). H.E. Mr. Sommad Pholsena, Minister of Public Works and Transport of Lao PDR;
(f). Mr. Mustapha Bin Zainuddin, representing H.E. Dato’ Sri Ong Tee Keat, Minister of Transport for Malaysia;
(g). H.E. Maj. Gen. Thein Swe, Minister of Transport for Myanmar;
(h). H.E. Gen. Leandro R. Mendoza (Ret.), Secretary of Transportation and Communications for the Philippines;
(i). H.E. Mr. Raymond Lim Siang Keat, Minister for Transport of Singapore;
(j). H.E. Mr. Prajak Glawgraharn, Deputy Minister of Transport of Thailand;
(k). H.E. Mr. Ho Nghia Dzung, Minister of Transport of Viet Nam; and
(l). H.E. Mr. Sundram Pushpanathan, Deputy Secretary-General for ASEAN Economic Community, ASEAN Secretariat