1. The 7th ASEAN and Japan Transport Ministers Meeting (ATM+Japan) was held on 11 December 2009 in Ha Noi, Viet Nam. H.E. Mr. Ho Nghia Dzung, Minister of Transport of Viet Nam, and H.E. Ms. Kiyomi Tsujimoto, Senior Vice Minister of Ministry of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism of Japan, co-chaired the Meeting.
2. The Ministers were pleased with the significant progress made in the implementation of activities under the Manila Action Plan for the ASEAN-Japan Transport Partnership (AJTP) in the area of transport logistics, safety and security, environment, and common infrastructure. Based on that success, the Ministers agreed on the work plans for 2009-2010.
3. The Ministers endorsed a new important initiative as a part of the Manila Action Plan, namely the Ha Noi Initiative on “ASEAN-Japan Action Plan on Environment Improvement in the Transport Sector (AJ-APEIT)” The AJ-APEIT, to be implemented over a five-year period from 2010 to 2014, will provide a basic framework for ASEAN Member States and Japan to implement environment measures in the transport sector in a systematic and strategic manner to realise low-carbon and low-pollution transport systems for achieving sustainable social and economic development. With the commitments to realize the objective of the Ha Noi Initiative, the Ministers requested their Senior Transport Officials to deliberate and finalize the “List of measures and ways of implementation under the AJTP” (Attached List) at their next meeting for reporting it to the next ATM+Japan in 2010.
4. The Ministers also endorsed the Operational Guidelines of the ASEAN-Japan Transport Statistics Database. The Operational Guidelines provide a framework for the establishment and operation of a transport statistical database of ASEAN Member States and Japan, which will serve as an analytical tool for facilitating policy making process in the transport sector. The Operational Guidelines will be a useful reference in the coordination of the data systems as well as in the efficient handling and management of the database.
5. The 8th ATM+Japan Meeting will be convened in Brunei Darussalam in 2010.
LIST OF MINISTERS
(a). H.E. Pehin Dato Abu Bakar Apong, Minister of Communications for Brunei Darussalam
(b). H.E. Mr. Tram Iv Tek, Minister of Public Works and Transport for Cambodia
(c). Mr. Tatang Kurniadi, representing H.E. Mr. Freddy Numberi, Minister of Transportation for Indonesia
(d). H.E. Ms. Kiyomi Tsujimoto, Senior Vice Minister of Land, Infrastructure, Transport and Tourism for Japan
(e). H.E. Mr. Sommad Pholsena, Minister of Public Works and Transport for Lao PDR
(f). Mr. Mustapha Bin Zainuddin, representing H.E. Dato Sri’ Ong Tee Keat, Minister of Transport for Malaysia
(g). H.E. Maj. Gen. Thein Swe, Minister of Transport for Myanmar
(h). H.E. Gen. Leandro R. Mendoza (Ret.), Secretary of Transportation and Communications for the Philippines
(i). H.E. Mr. Raymond Lim Siang Keat, Minister for Transport of Singapore
(j). H.E. Mr. Prajak Glawgraharn, Deputy Minister of Transport of Thailand
(k). H.E. Mr. Ho Nghia Dzung, Minister of Transport for Viet Nam
(l). H.E. Mr. Sundram Pushpanathan, Deputy Secretary-General of ASEAN for ASEAN Economic Community, ASEAN Secretariat