1. The ASEAN Ministers on Agriculture and Forestry and the Ministers of Agriculture of the People’s Republic of China, Japan and the Republic of Korea held their Tenth Meeting in Phnom Penh on 24 October 2010, under the chairmanship of H.E. Dr. Chan Sarun, Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Cambodia.
2. The Ministers reaffirmed their strong support in advancing cooperation in food, agriculture, and forestry sectors as guided by the Second Joint Statement on East Asia Cooperation, including the ASEAN Plus Three Cooperation Work Plan (2007-2017), which was adopted at the 11th ASEAN Plus Three Summit held in November 2007 in Singapore.
3. The Ministers welcomed and supported the ASEAN Plus Three Cooperation Strategy on Food, Agriculture and Forestry with the goal to ensure long-term food security and to improve the livelihoods of farmers in the ASEAN and Plus Three Countries. The Cooperation Strategy provides a comprehensive framework to foster cooperation among the ASEAN Plus Three countries in the areas of Strengthening Food Security, Biomass Energy Development, Sustainable Forest Management, Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation, Animal Health and Disease Control, and Cross-Cutting Issues (i.e. enhancement of capacity-building and human resource development; strengthening of information and knowledge networking and exchange; enhancement of productivity, quality and marketability of agriculture and agricultural products; and strengthening collaboration on research and development)
4. The Ministers noted the on-going progress in the development of ASEAN Plus Three Comprehensive Strategy on Food Security and Bioenergy Development as tasked by the Leaders at the 12th ASEAN Plus Three Summit in October 2009 in Thailand. The Ministers reiterated that food security is a major contributing factor for sustained economic and social development and stability in the region.
5. The Ministers agreed to formalise the ASEAN Plus Three Emergency Rice Reserve (APTERR) as a permanent scheme for meeting emergency requirements and achieving humanitarian purposes. The Ministers urged all ASEAN Plus Three Countries for early signing of the Agreement and affirmed their support for implementation of the scheme.
6. The Ministers commended good progress made in the 2nd phase of ASEAN Food Security Information System (AFSIS) Project on its activities including capacity building on food security information, Early Warning Information and Agricultural Commodity Outlook.
7. The Ministers expressed their satisfaction on the project activities as well as the solid progress of the evaluation of those activities as instructed by the 9th AMAF Plus Three Meeting. The Ministers endorsed three new project proposals from the Plus Three Countries, which aim to build capacity in food security, rural household biogas technology and management, and regional mangrove conservation cooperation.
8. The Ministers welcomed the Niigata Declaration on Asia-Pacific Economic Cooperation (APEC) Food Security, which was announced at the First APEC Ministerial Meeting on Food Security held on 16-17 October 2010 in Niigata, Japan. The Ministers recognised that the Niigata Declaration shared similar inspiration with the on-going efforts of AMAF Plus Three cooperation towards regional food security through sustainable development of the agriculture sector and facilitation of food investment, trade and markets.
9. The Ministers agreed to have their Eleventh Meeting in Indonesia in 2011.The Ministers expressed their sincere appreciation to the Government and People of Cambodia for the warm hospitality and excellent arrangements made for the Meeting.
List of Ministers:
H.E. Pehin Dato Yahya, Minister of Industry and Primary Resources, Brunei Darussalam
H.E. Dr. Chan Sarun, Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Cambodia
H.E. Dr. Suswono, Minister of Agriculture, Indonesia
H.E. Dr. Ty Phommasack Vice-Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, Lao PDR
H.E. Datuk Seri Noh Bin Omar, Minister of Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry, Malaysia
H.E. Mr. Ohn Myint, Deputy Minister for Agriculture and Irrigation, Myanmar
H.E. Dr. Segfredo R. Serrano, Undersecretary of Department of Agriculture, Philippines
H.E. Dr. Mohamad Maliki Bin Osman, Parliamentary Secretary for National Development, Singapore
H.E. Mr. Theera Wongsamut, Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Thailand
H.E. Mr. Ho Xuan Hung, Vice-Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Viet Nam
H.E. Mr. Gao Hongbin, Vice-Minister, Ministry of Agriculture, People’s Republic of China
H.E. Ms. Masayo Tanabu, Vice-Minister Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Japan
H.E. Mr. Chung Seung, Vice-Minister for Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Republic of Korea
H.E. Mr. S. Pushpanathan, Deputy Secretary-General of ASEAN for ASEAN Economic Community