1. We, the 140 ASEAN Plus Three Youths, selected on the basis of our contributions and commitments to youth environmental activities, were honored to participate in the ASEAN Plus Three Youth Environment Forum 2010: Creating a Climate for Change held on 22-25 April 2010 in Brunei Darussalam. We appreciated the opportunity to share information and experiences on environment and climate change.
2. We recalled the ASEAN vision to realize an ASEAN Community that is people-centred, socially responsible with a view to achieve solidarity, unity and a common identity. We also hope to build a sharing and caring society which is inclusive and harmonious where the well-being, livelihood, and welfare of the people are enhanced.
3. We are fully aware of the impact of environmental degradation, in particular climate change on the survival and livelihood of local communities and are alarmed by the exploitation of natural resources and loss of biodiversity in all parts of the world.
4. We recognize that the youths can play an important role in advocating environmental messages to the community through their active participation in environment-related activities to safeguard the environment for the benefit of the present and future generations.
5. We recognize the paramount importance of our participations, contributions, and stewardship roles in conserving and protecting the environment hand-in-hand as we will be leaders of tomorrow, who will shape the future of our societies and cultures to make our world sustainable.
6. We brainstormed and shared our concerns, challenges and experiences in our respective countries, and resolved to play our part in addressing environmental issues. We commit ourselves to undertake the following ten activities in our region and respective countries:
1. Environmental Amazing Race is a cycling contest to promote the use of bicycles as a mode of everyday transport and to appreciate nature.
2. Environmental Exchange Programme for youths from the different countries to share knowledge and best practices.
3. Green Curtain where plants are grown on the base of windowsills or from the top of windows to reduce carbon emissions and help cool the room.
4. ASEAN Plus Three “Green Day” where ASEAN Plus Three people will wear green outfits and conduct green activities.
5. Eco Bags is a simple campaign to approach the public to use eco bags instead of plastic bags.
6. Eco-friendly Competitions where environment related contests are launched in schools to showcase the abilities, talents and creativity of students and depict their responsibility for the protection and conservation of nature.
7. Lunch Box Day is a day to avoid the usage of plastic wares as personal lunch boxes will be used for meals
8. Social Networking where people are able to be updated on each countries’ environment-related activities via Facebook.
9. “No Motor” Campaign where people will not drive their cars and instead use public transport in a particular day of a week.
10. Save One Cup of Water for You and for Me is a water saving contest to nurture the sense of appreciation to natural resources and encourage people to save water.
7. We also resolved to raise public awareness and environmental activism among the public. For this purpose we have agreed on the following slogans which we shall promote to our peers and the general public.
1. Green Nature for the Future
2. Don’t be an Intruder, be a Green Lover!
3. Echo the Eco
4. Plastic bags are so last year. Reusable bags are here
5. Youths are the future generation. Let’s work together to save the nation
6. S.T.O.P (Stop Today Or Pay)
7. There is no PLANet B
8. The Earth doesn’t live because of us, we live because of the Earth
9. One Earth, One Chance
10. W.A.T.E.R (We Are The Earth Rescuers)
8. We pledge to follow up on activities that we have proposed during the ASEAN Plus Three Youth Environment Forum 2010 and take actions by adopting an environmentally friendly lifestyle to the best of our own ability in our respective countries.
9. We commit to ensure that the forum objectives are met, even after the conclusion of the forum. Everyone has a role to play and we will do our utmost to help sustain our environment.
10. We participated in a climate change negotiation simulation exercise to understand the complexity of the negotiation process, especially in reaching a consensus among different interest groups. We were made aware of the constraints and different situations that these interest groups are facing, and how important it is to compromise to reach an agreement.
11. We are aware of the importance of sustainable networking among our peers in the ASEAN Plus Three countries in order to update ourselves on new activities that we implement in our everyday life for the environment in our respective countries. Thus, we agree to make use of the ASEAN Environmental Education Inventory Database, and also social youth networking tools like Facebook, Twitter, and Youtube, to sustain our network.
12. We thank the Government of Brunei Darussalam, in particular the Department of Environment, Parks and Recreation, Ministry of Development, supported by the Ministry of Education and in cooperation with the ASEAN Secretariat, for hosting and organising the ASEAN Plus Three Youth Environment Forum 2010. We also thank the Government of Brunei Darussalam and the Government of Japan through Japan-ASEAN Integration Fund (JAIF) for extending financial support to make this Forum possible.
13. We, the ASEAN Plus Three Youths attending the ASEAN Plus Three Youth Environment Forum 2010, hope that ASEAN Youth Environment Forum will be sustained and continued to engage and empower youths.