The ASEAN Ministers of Agriculture and Forestry and the Ministers of Agriculture of the People’s Republic of China, Japan and the Republic of Korea held their sixth meeting in Singapore on 17 November 2006, under the chairmanship of H.E. Mr. Mah Bow Tan, Minister for National Development of Singapore.
2. The Ministers were pleased with the substantive accomplishments under the ASEAN Plus Three cooperation in agriculture, fisheries and forestry, particularly in cooperation on alleviating poverty and strengthening food security, research and development as well as human development activities.
3. The Ministers from the Plus Three Countries (People’s Republic of China, Japan and Republic of Korea) reiterated their support in the implementation of the Vientiane Action Programme (VAP), as well as in providing technical assistance in narrowing development gaps and accelerating integration of agriculture as a sustainable sector for economic growth and social development.
4. The Ministers recognised the necessity for conserving the natural environment; preserving the social and cultural tradition of rural communities while promoting a sustainable development in agriculture, forestry and fishery sectors. Moreover, the Ministers recognised the importance of agriculture in securing a stable supply of safe food in the region.
5. The Ministers noted the implementation of the East Asia Emergency Rice Reserve (EAERR) pilot project activities including stockpiled emergency rice reserve projects in Indonesia, Lao PDR and in the Philippines, which provided valuable experiences in meeting the humanitarian needs during periods of emergencies and natural disasters. The Ministers agreed to the EAERR Pilot Project’s extension for another year. The Ministers also noted the achievements made so far and welcomed a possibility of conversion of the pilot project into a permanent scheme.
6. Noting the successful implementation of Phase I of the ASEAN Food Security Information System (AFSIS) Project, the Ministers endorsed the proposal for the second-phase of the project. This AFSIS Project has contributed to greater understanding, dissemination and analysis of regional food security data and information among ASEAN Plus Three Countries.
7. The Ministers reaffirmed continuing efforts by the ASEAN Plus Three Countries to control and eradicate Highly Pathogenic Avian Influenza (HPAI) that remains a serious threat to the region. The Ministers recognised the need for ASEAN Plus Three Countries to further strengthen collaboration with international agencies such as the Asian Development Bank (ADB), Food and Agriculture Organization (FAO) and the World Animal Health Organization (OIE) so as to improve transparency, coordination and synergy to control and eradicate HPAI.
8. Recognising the need for cooperative actions in promoting sustainable forest management, and effective implementation of forestry laws in combating illegal logging and its associated trade, the Ministers expressed their appreciation on the offer by the Philippines to host the 2nd Forest Law Enforcement and Governance (FLEG) Ministerial Meeting in 2007 to ensure continual progress with national, regional and global actions.
9. The Ministers stressed the importance of sustainable, effective and diversified utilisation of bio-mass resources and technologies in view of improving global environment, ensuring energy security, and enhancing local economies and called for further cooperation in this field.
10. The Ministers agreed to have their seventh meeting in Thailand in 2007. The Ministers expressed their sincere appreciation to the Government and people of Singapore for the warm hospitality and excellent arrangements made for the Meeting.
The Meeting was attended by:
H.E. Pehin Dato Dr. Haji Ahmad Haji Jumat, Minister of Industry and Primary Resources, Brunei Darussalam
H.E. Dr. Chan Sarun, Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Cambodia
H.E. Dr. Anton Apriyantono, Minister of Agriculture, Indonesia
H.E. Mr. Sitaheng Rasphone, Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, Lao PDR
H.E. Dato Mah Siew Keong, Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry, Malaysia
H.E. Major General Htay Oo, Minister of Agriculture and Irrigation, Myanmar
H.E. Dr. Segfredo R. Serrano, Undersecretary, Department of Agriculture, the Philippines
H.E. Mr. Mah Bow Tan, Minister for National Development, Singapore
H.E. Ms Grace Fu, Minister of State for National Development, Singapore
H.E. Professor Dr. Thira Sutabutra, Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Thailand
H.E. Dr. Bui Ba Bong, Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Viet Nam
H.E. Fan Xiaojian, Vice Minister of Agriculture, People’s Republic of China
H.E. Mr. Taku Yamamoto, Senior Vice Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Japan
H.E. Dr. Park Hae-Sang, Vice Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, Republic of Korea; and
H.E. Mr. Ong Keng Yong, Secretary–General of ASEAN