1. We, the ASEAN Ministers of Agriculture and Forestry and the Minister of Agriculture and Food Processing Industries of India, held our Third ASEAN-India Ministerial Meeting on Agriculture and Forestry (AIMMAF) on 28 September 2013 in Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia. The Meeting was Co-chaired by H E. Dato’ Sri Ismail Sabri bin Yaakob, Minister of Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry of Malaysia and H.E Sharad Pawar, Minister of Agriculture and Food Processing Industries of India.
2. We welcomed the significant progress in the implementation of the Plan of Action on ASEAN-India Partnership for Peace, Progress and Shared Prosperity (2010-2015), and reaffirmed our commitment to ensure ASEAN-India cooperation in agriculture and forestry substantially to contribute further in deepening of the ASEAN-India Strategic Partnership and support the ASEAN Community building efforts.
3. We were pleased with the progress of the ASEAN-India cooperation in agriculture and forestry in 2012-2013 through the implementation of numerous activities under the Medium-term Programme of Action for ASEAN-India Cooperation on Agriculture and Forestry (2011-2015). These include the ASEAN-India Agri Expo and the Symposium on Indo-ASEAN Export Potential of Agriculture Products that were organised on 17 – 19 October 2012 and 18 October 2012, respectively, in New Delhi. The inaugural edition of the ASEAN-India Newsletter on Agriculture and Forestry was released in October 2012, and the 2nd and 3rd edition had been published in May and September 2013, respectively. Under the ASEAN-India Farmers Exchange Programme, farmers from the ASEAN Member States visited India in December 2012 and Indian farmers visited Malaysia in April 2013. These exchange visits provided a good platform for the young, progressive and enterprising farmers of ASEAN Member States and India to be informed of the new opportunities and developments in the agriculture sector, exchange views and to share best practices and innovations in agriculture. As part of the initiative to enhance the quality of higher agricultural education and research as well as extension through cooperation between agricultural universities, the Conference of Heads of Agriculture Universities and Research Institutions of India and ASEAN was organised on 18-21 February 2013 in New Delhi.
5. Building on these achievements, we reaffirmed our support and commitment to enhance further ASEAN-India cooperation in agriculture, with special emphasis on our joint efforts to address the challenges of food security that is becoming the global issue through capacity building, agricultural education, and research and development. We looked forward to the capacity building programmes on IT Application for Agricultural Extension (e-Extension); on Organic Certification for Fruit and Vegetables; and on National Seed Quality Control System later this year. We also welcomed the new initiatives on Managing Food Security and Price Volatility, and Training on Conventional and Molecular Techniques for Diagnosis of Trans-boundary Animal Diseases to be implemented as part of our efforts to enhance agriculture production and productivity towards food security.
6. We agreed to meet again at the Fourth ASEAN India Ministerial Meeting on Agriculture and Forestry to be held in India in September/October 2014.
7. The Ministers expressed their sincere appreciation to the Government and People of Malaysia for the warm hospitality and excellent arrangements made for the Meeting.
The Meeting was attended by:
- H.E. Pehin Dato Yahya, Minister of Industry and Primary Resources, Brunei Darussalam
- H.E. Mr. San Vanty, Under Secretary of State, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Cambodia
- H.E. Dr. Suswono, Minister of Agriculture, Indonesia
- H.E. Dr. Phouang Parisak Pravongviengkham, Vice Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, Lao PD
- H E. Dato’ Sri Ismail Sabri bin Yaakob, Minister of Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry, Malaysia
- H.E. U Myint Hlaing, Union Minister for Ministry of Agriculture and Irrigation, Myanmar
- H.E Mr. Jose Eduardo E. Malaya III, the Philippine Ambassador to Malaysia, Philippines
- H.E. Ms. Tan Poh Hong, Chief Executive Officer, Agri-Food and Veterinary Authority, Singapore
- H.E. Mr. Yukol Limlamthong, Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Thailand
- H.E. Dr. Nguyen Thi Xuan Thu, Vice Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Viet Nam
- H.E. Mr. Sharad Pawar, Minister of Agriculture and Food Processing Industries of India.
- Mr. Tran Dong Phuong, Director of Finance, Industries and Infrastructure Directorate, ASEAN Economic Community Department, ASEAN Secretariat