1. We, the ASEAN Ministers on Agriculture and Forestry and the Ministers of Agriculture of the People’s Republic of China, Japan and the Republic of Korea held our Twelfth Meeting in Vientiane on 28 September 2012, under the chairmanship of H.E. Mr. Vilayvanh Phomkhe, Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, Lao PDR.
2. We reaffirmed our strong support in advancing the AMAF Plus Three cooperation in food, agriculture, and forestry sectors, which corresponds to the Second Joint Statement on East Asia Cooperation and the ASEAN Plus Three Cooperation Work Plan (2007-2017). Complementing this decision, we supported and welcomed the development of the ASEAN Plus Three Cooperation Strategy (APTCS) Framework consisting of six (6) Strategic Areas, namely, Strengthening Food Security, Biomass Energy Development, Sustainable Forest Management, Climate Change Mitigation and Adaptation, Animal Health and Disease Control and Cross-Cutting Issues.
3. We noted with satisfaction the progress made in the implementation of cooperation projects under the APTCS Framework, particularly on capacity building in agriculture production, post-harvest handling, training and extension, research and development in the areas of crops, livestock, fisheries, and forestry.
4. Following the signing of the APTERR Agreement during the 11th Meeting of the AMAF Plus Three held on 7 October 2011 in Jakarta, We welcomed the entry-into-force of the Agreement on 12 July 2012. In response to acute food emergency, We commended initiatives taken by the ASEAN Plus Three Emergency Rice Reserve (APTERR) in releasing stockpile rice in Thailand, Lao PDR and Indonesia in 2011-2012. We welcome Thailand’s offer to host the APTERR Secretariat subject to the completion of domestic process and urged the APTERR Council to finalise necessary arrangement for the full operationalization of APTERR.
5. We acknowledged successful implementation of the ASEAN Food Security Information System (AFSIS) Project with achievements made on establishment of food security information network system, including website and databases, Early Warning Information, Agricultural Commodity Outlook Reports as well as supporting human resources development activities. We reiterated our support to transform the Project into the ASEAN Plus Three Food Security Information System as a self-sustained mechanism while noting an independent study will be undertaken to facilitate the finalization of Terms of Reference and the Rules of Procedure of the new AFSIS. We also support the AFSIS Workplan for 2013-2015.
6. Guided by the Cha-am Hua Hin Statement on ASEAN Plus Three Cooperation on Food Security and Bioenergy Development adopted by the ASEAN Plus Three Leaders in 2009, We noted progress of cooperation activities in promoting biomass energy towards agriculture and rural development. We recognized the importance of and supported the planned collaboration between the agriculture and energy sector to ensure synergy of efforts in sustainable bioenergy development and achieving food security.
7. We agreed to meet again for the 13th AMAF Plus Three Meeting in Malaysia in 2013.
8. The Ministers from other ASEAN Member States, the People’s Republic of China, Japan and the Republic of Korea expressed their sincere appreciation to the Government and People of Lao PDR for the warm hospitality and excellent arrangements made for the 12th AMAF Plus Three Meeting.
LIST OF MINISTERS
H.E. Pehin Dato Yahya, Minister of Industry and Primary Resources, Brunei Darussalam
H.E. Prof. Dr. Chan Sarun, Minister of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Cambodia
H.E. Dr. Suswono, Minister of Agriculture, Indonesia
H.E. Mr. Vilayvanh Phomkhe, Minister of Agriculture and Forestry, Lao PDR
H.E. Dato’ Mohd Hashim bin Abdullah, Secretary General, Ministry of Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry, representing Minister of Agriculture and Agro-Based Industry, Malaysia
H.E. Mr. Ohn Than, Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Irrigation, Myanmar
H.E. Mr. Joel S. Rudinas, Under Secretary of Agriculture, Department of Agriculture, Philippines
H.E. Dr. Mohamad Maliki Bin Osman, Senior Parliamentary Secretary, Ministry of National Development and Ministry of Defence, Singapore
H.E. Mr. Theera Wongsamut, Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives, Thailand
H.E. Dr. Bui Ba Bong, Vice Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Viet Nam
H.E. Mr. Niu Dun, Vice Minister of Agriculture, Ministry of Agriculture, People’s Republic of China
H.E. Mr. Tsukasa Iwamoto, Senior Vice Minister, Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Japan
H.E. Mr. Sang-Kil Lee, Vice Minister, Ministry of Food, Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries, Republic of Korea
H.E. Mr. Lim Hong Hin, Deputy Secretary-General of ASEAN for ASEAN Economic Community